Monday, August 20, 2007

Weaver leaves home

I need to get this down before I forget. I saw Daddy this weekend and had him quickly glance over the site and he asked me if I had this story that PaPa related to him. I told Daddy that although I had heard the story before that I did not think it could be true because Weaver was in Llano Co, then moved to Ennis with the family, then as far as I could determine was married about age 18 and did not think the timeline of left home at (age) 16 could fit, but actually it does work so here is the story. On the tape Weaver talks about that he left home at age 16. On the property that his family had there was a piece of "bottom land" that could not be planted as it would "wash out" all the time. (See this could not have been Llano too well due to the land conditions). His Father, Tom, told him he could have the little section of land to plant a crop on and if it made anything the profits would be his. Weaver planted some cotton and the area did not wash out and he was able to get a couple of bales to market. With the money he left home and went to the Dallas area.

Now, the story works if the area in question is Ennis. It also goes along with the early reported photo of Weaver of about age 16 and his hair is parted in the middle and he seems to have a nice new suit on.

Weaver could have accomplished all this AND get back to Ennis to time to marry Elsie and later Jessie.

So now, I just gotta prove was it Ennis? or did he actually plant cotton in Llano?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Buster says that Weaver Hickman made a lot of money in cotton and built the 1st cotton gin in the area(?) and came down with Spinal Menningitis and it cost him all of his wealth in doctor bills and that's when he left the farm and went elsewhere maybe to the city to be constable(?).