Friday, August 17, 2007

Ethel Jean Hickman Blue

Mother was name Ethel, after her beloved Grandmother, Ethel Clara/Claire Austin Ham and Jean Harlow. Grandmother Gertrude loved watching glamerous actress Jean Harlow on the movie screen.

After I was born Mother and Grandmother took me to the nursing home where Grandmother Ham had been confined after a stroke. After seeing me and Mother, Grandmother Ham said she had to get out of there so she could take care of me. Grandmother Barton (Gertrude) told her not to worry about it 'cause "Jean takes care of that baby better than you did us"!

Grandmother Ham passed away a short time later in 1953 and is buried in Colfax LA.

Mother told me how sad she was to see her beloved Grandmother in the nursing home; they had shaved her head because of an outbreak of lice in the facility. I don't know if that meant she had NO hair or it had grown back in some and was that ugly shaggy stage or what.

Why is it we never ask the really important questions we would like answered until our loved ones are gone? I've a million and one questions for Mother.

No comments: